VS-Pi: Installation and Development
For more information about VS-Pi hardware, please visit the Technology page.
- Raspberry Pi Model B
- 32GB SD card
- USB WiFi adapter
- Ethernet cable
Once you have the required hardware, follow the instructions below to set up a fresh installation on the Raspberry Pi. Please note that this installation does not include any of the educational content that is intended for use as part of the iQuEST pilot project.
- Install Raspbery Pi’s New Out Of Box Software (NOOBS) to SD card following these instructions.
- Boot Raspberry Pi with all of the peripherals connected.
- Run the following command to install and configure VS-Pi (which will reboot Raspberry Pi):
git clone https://github.com/villagescience/vspi.git && sudo bash ./vspi/setup.sh
You can see what the Setup script is doing at the bottom of this page.
- After your Raspberry Pi reboots, connect a laptop (client) to the open ‘VS-Pi Connect’ Wi-Fi hotspot
- After connecting your client, navigate to the web address http://vspi.local.
If you’re redirected to the WordPress registration page below, then WordPress did not finish installing properly.
Run this single-line command to complete the WordPress installation process.
curl -d "weblog_title=VSPi&user_name=admin&admin_password=raspberry&admin_password2=raspberry&[email protected]" http://127.0.0.1/wp-admin/install.php?step=2 >/dev/null 2>&1
After issuing this command, you should be able to re-visit http://vspi.local, and view this page:
- Congratulations, VS-Pi is now installed!
Note that after installation, you can now connect to your Raspberry Pi through SSH with this command:
ssh -l pi 10.0.10.1
The VSPi installation script registers a static IP address for the WiFi adapter.
The username (shown above) is ‘pi’, and the default password is ‘raspberry’.
All of our development is done in our Git Repository. You’ll need an account with GitHub in order to contribute. You will not need an account if you only want to install and play around with VS-Pi!
- Create a GitHub account and set up Git! This is where all the magic happens.
- Follow the ‘Fork a Repo’ instructions for the Village Science ‘vspi‘ and ‘wordpress‘ repositories.
- The VSPi repository is used for initial installation and pushing updates.
- The WordPress repository is used to initialize the WP framework during the setup script.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Village Science is always looking for ways to improve!
- Discuss VS-Pi with our online community.
- General VS-Pi discussion can be found on our discussion forums. Please note, you will need to register to post on the Village Science message boards. You do not need an account to simply view the forums.
- Find issues that you can help fix.
Our Get Involved page shows the developer skills Village Science currently needs.
And, as always, please feel free to contact us!